English to Urdu Common Words and Phrases
If you are just starting out on your Urdu language learning journey, then you'll likely find this page quite helpful.
By scrolling down, you'll find plenty of useful translations - all presented from English to Urdu. Current translations include yes and no, please and thank you, how are you?, who are you? question words, and more.
Note: Words in bold added during the last update. You can also view this list of useful words from Urdu to English.
Yes and no:
Yes ➔ Haan
No ➔ Nahi
Please and thank you:
Please ➔ Barae meherbani
Thank you ➔ Shukriya / Shukria
Thank you so much ➔ Barhi mehrbani
Thank you very much ➔ Bahut bahut shukriya
A reply to Thank you. ➔ Koi baat nahin
How are you?
How are you? ➔ Aap kaise hain? (Said to men)
How are you? ➔ Aap kaisi hain? (Said to women)
How are you? ➔ Tum kaise ho? (Said to men)
How are you? ➔ Tum kaisi ho? (Said to women)
Who are you?
Who are you? ➔ Aap kaon hain?
What is your name? ➔ Aap ka nam kya hai?
My name is (name). ➔ Mera nam (name) hai.
Inquiring about one's health:
How are you? / How is your health? ➔ Kya haal hai?
I'm fine, thanks. ➔ Main theek hoon, shukriya.
I am fine. What about you? ➔ Main theek hoon. Aap kese ho?
I'm fine (and you?) ➔ Main theek hoon (aur aap?)
All the question words:
Who ➔ Kon
What ➔ Kiya
When ➔ Kab
Where ➔ Kahaan
Why ➔ Kiyoon
How ➔ Kesay
Other useful phrases:
Do you speak English? ➔ Kya aap angrezi?
How much does this cost? ➔ Yeh kitne ka hai?
Where are you? ➔ Aap kahaan ho?
Where are you from? ➔ Tum kaham se ho
Where is the bathroom? ➔ Dawa khana khan hai?
*List of useful words and phrases last updated: March 30, 2018.
English to Urdu Comprehension:
Can you answer these questions about basic Urdu?
1. How do you say how are you in Urdu?
2. How do you say yes in Urdu?
3. How do you say please in Urdu?
4. How do you say no in Urdu?
5. What is where are you from in Urdu translation?
6. How do you say thank you in Urdu?
7. What is where are you in Urdu translation?
8. How do you say I am fine in Urdu?
9. What is who are you in Urdu translation?
10. What is thank you very much in Urdu?
Urdu to English Comprehension:
Can you answer these questions about basic Urdu when you are just given the Urdu word?
1. What is the meaning in English of main theek hoon?
2. Translate aap kaise hain from Urdu to English.
3. Translate kya haal hai from Urdu to English.
4. What is the English meaning of barae meherbani?
5. Translate bahut bahut shukriya from Urdu to English.
6. What is a typical reply to shukriya in Urdu?
As most of the translations in the list above are user submitted, it's quite possible for there to be mistakes on the page. If you speak Urdu and have a correction you'd like to share, feel free to leave a message below. Thanks again for any help you can provide.