107 Random Japanese Words and Meanings
If learning by standard categories is no fun, then you'll love this list.
Below you'll find a ton of completely random words and phrases - all translated from Japanese to English.
Notes: Words in bold added during the last update. You can also view these lists with translations from English to Japanese. Clicking on a will give you a more detailed definition, plus Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana, and related words.
Random Words (Japanese to English):
Aka-chan ➔ Baby
Akira ➔ Clear / Bright
Bansai ➔ Long life
Chiisai ➔ Little / Small
Daitanna ➔ Bold
Denwa ➔ Phone
Denwa bango ➔ Phone number
Diipu ➔ Deep
Do ➔ Earth
Donarudo toranpu ➔ ドナルド・トランプ ➔ Donald Trump
Eigo ➔ English
Enpitsu ➔ Pencil
Eto... ➔ Hmm...
Furui ➔ Old
Futago ➔ Twins
Gaaden ➔ Garden
Getsu ➔ Moon
Hare ➔ Sunny
Hi ➔ Fire
Hon ➔ Book
Ichiban ➔ Number one
Ii ➔ Good
Ippai ➔ Full
Issho ni ➔ Together
Ka ➔ Fire
Kage ➔ Shadow
Kagome ➔ Mirror
Kappu ➔ Cup / Glass
Kasa ➔ Umbrella
Kawaii ➔ Cute
Kaze ➔ Wind / A cold
Ki ➔ Tree
Kikyou ➔ Chinese bellflower
Kin ➔ Gold
Konpuriito ➔ Complete
Kuragari ➔ Darkness
Kurai ➔ Dark
Mijikai ➔ Short
Minna ➔ Everyone
Mizu ➔ Water
Moku ➔ Tree
Na? ➔ Huh?
Nani? ➔ What?
Nichi ➔ Sun
Oni ➔ Ogre
Onnanoko ➔ Girl
Osuwari ➔ Sit
Rai ➔ Lightning
Sakura ➔ Cherry / Cherry blossom
Samui ➔ Cold (like the weather)
Sekai ➔ World
Sento ➔ Lead / First place
Shizuka ➔ Quiet
Shonen ➔ Boy
Sugoi ➔ Amazing
Sugureta ➔ Excellent
Sui ➔ Water
Suwatte ➔ Sit down
Tanoshii ➔ Fun
Tanpopo ➔ Dandelion
Tengoku ➔ Heaven
Tenshi ➔ Angel
To ➔ And
Tomodachi ➔ Friend
Toranpu ➔ トランプ ➔ Trump (As in Donald Trump)
Tsubasa ➔ Wing
Tsuki ➔ Moon
Tsuyoi ➔ Strong
Urusai ➔ Noisy
Wata ➔ Cotton
Yasha ➔ Demon
Yuniiku na ➔ Unique
Zenbu ➔ All
Random Phrases (Japanese to English):
Akiramenai ➔ Don't give up / I won't give up
Anata wa itsumo nani wo sinpaishite iruno desu ka? ➔ What's always on your mind?
Anata no shashin o totemo ii desu ka? ➔ Can I take a picture of you?
Boku no mewo mitte ➔ Look into my eyes
Heya wa kara desu ➔ The room is empty
Itsumo ichiban ➔ Always number one
Kaze no kizu ➔ Wind scar
Kesshite akiramenai ➔ Never surrender
Kikimashita ➔ I listened
Kikimashita? ➔ Did you listen?
Kurai kage ➔ Dark shadow
Kurayami no tenshi ➔ Angel of darkness
Mijikai e-mail de gomen nasai ➔ I'm sorry for the short email
Mimashita ➔ I looked
Mimashita? ➔ Did you look?
Nanka atta no? ➔ What's happening?
Nemui desu ➔ I feel sleepy
Nihon he ikimasu ➔ I am going to Japan
Nihon-go wo benkyoushimasu ➔ Learn Japanese
Nihon-no ka? ➔ Are you Japanese?
Sekai ni hitotsu dake no hana ➔ The only flower in the world
Senta ni tatsu ➔ Be in the lead
Setchaku-zai ga arimasen ➔ There is no glue
Shashin o totemo ii desu ka ➔ Is taking photos okay?
Tsukaremashita ➔ I'm tired
Tsukaremashita? ➔ Were you tired?
Zettai yurusenai ➔ I will never forgive you
*Random words list last updated: March 2, 2018.
Can you answer these questions about random Japanese words?
1. What does zettai yurusenai mean in English?
2. What is the Japanese word for bold?
3. What is the English meaning of akiramenai?
4. What is always in Japanese?
5. What is the Japanese word for and?
6. What is the Japanese word for darkness?
7. What is the English translation of shashin o totemo ii desu ka?
8. What is the Japanese word for short?
9. What is the Japanese word for complete?
10. What is the English meaning of futago?
11. What is the Japanese word for shadow?
12. What is the English meaning of kagome?
13. What is the Japanese word for beautiful girl?
14. What is the English meaning of urusai?
15. What is the Japanese word for together?
16. How do you say good in Japanese?
17. What is the meaning of chibi in English?
18. Define bishounen.
19. What is the Japanese word for excellent?
20. What is the Japanese word for angel of darkness?