Dutch Greetings: Hellos and Goodbyes
It's never a bad idea to learn the popular greetings in the languages you wish to speak. Read below to learn several translations of simple Dutch greetings.
Includes different ways to say hello and goodbye, plus translations for good morning, good afternoon, and good evening.
Note: Words in bold added during the last update. You can also view this list of common words and phrases from English to Dutch.
How to Say Hello in Dutch:
Dag ➔ Hi (lit. day, but means hi / good day)
Goedendag ➔ Hello
Hallo ➔ Hello
Hoi ➔ Hello (informal)
Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening:
Goedemorgen ➔ Good morning
Goedemiddag ➔ Good afternoon
Goedenavond ➔ Good evening
Goedenacht ➔ Good night
How to Say Goodbye in Dutch:
Doei ➔ Bye
Ik zie je later ➔ I'll see you later
Tot ziens ➔ See you later
Tot zo ➔ See you soon (usually later that day)
Vaarwel ➔ Farewell
*Basic Dutch words list last updated: March 18, 2018.
Can you answer these basic questions about the Dutch language?
1. How do you say hello in Dutch?
2. How do you say goodbye in Dutch?
3. How do you say bye in Dutch?
4. What is the word for good afternoon in Dutch?
5. How do you say good morning in Dutch?
6. What is the word for farewell in Dutch?
7. What is the word for good evening in Dutch?
8. How would you say see you later in Dutch?
9. How do you say good night in Dutch?
10. How do you say hi in Dutch?
11. What is the English translation of the Dutch phrase tot ziens?
As most of the translations in the list above are user submitted, it's quite possible for there to be mistakes on the page. If you speak Dutch and have a correction you'd like to share, feel free to leave a message below. Thanks again for any help you can provide.