Greetings and Goodbyes in Spanish, Plus Conversational Introductions
Some of the most important words to learn in any language are your basic greetings like hello and goodbye. This page not only provides a list for greeting words in Spanish, but also lists a number of ways to say goodbye in Spanish.
Beyond the basic hellos and goodbyes, this page also provides a list of timely greetings, plus an assortment of conversational introduction phrases.
Spanish Greetings and Goodbyes:
You can also view this list of Spanish greetings and goodbyes with translations from English to Spanish. Words in bold added during the last update.
Various Greetings in Spanish:
Saludo ➔ Greeting
Buenas ➔ Hello (Informal)
Hacía mucho que no nos veíamos! ➔ Long time no see!
Hola ➔ Hi / Hello
Qué hay (de nuevo)? ➔ What's up?
Qué pasa? ➔ How's it going?
Bienvenida ➔ Welcome (to a woman)
Bienvenidas ➔ Welcome (to a group of women)
Bienvenido ➔ Welcome (to a man)
Bienvenidos ➔ Welcome (to a group of just men, or men and women)
Bienvenido a (place) ➔ Welcome to (place)
Bienvenidos a nuestro hogar. ➔ Welcome to our home.
Timely Greetings in Spanish:
Buenos dias ➔ Good morning / Good day
Buen día ➔ Good day (variation of (but not as common as) 'Buenos dias')
Buenas tardes ➔ Good afternoon
Buenas noches ➔ Good evening
Conversational Introductions in Spanish:
Déjame presentarme. Mi nombre es... ➔ Let me introduce myself. My name is...
Le presento a... ➔ I'd like you to meet...
Te quiero presentar a un amigo ➔ I want to introduce you to a friend (male)
Te quiero presentar a una amiga ➔ I want to introduce you to a friend (female)
Encantado (m) / Encantada (f) ➔ Pleased to meet you
Encantado de conocerte ➔ Nice to meet you
Es un gusto conocerte ➔ Nice to meet you
Mucho gusto ➔ It's nice to meet you
Mucho gusto conocerte ➔ Nice to meet you
Mucho gusto en conocerle ➔ I'm happy to meet you
Mucho gusto en conocerte ➔ Nice to meet you
El gusto es mío ➔ It's nice to meet you too
Un placer ➔ A pleasure
Saying Goodbye in Spanish:
Adiós ➔ Bye / Goodbye
Despidido ➔ Farewell
Adiós, amigo! ➔ Bye, friend!
Cuidate ➔ Take care
Cuidate mucho ➔ Take very good care of yourself
Que tengas un buen dia ➔ Have a nice day
Nos vemos ➔ See you
Nos vemos más tarde! ➔ See you later!
Hasta luego ➔ See you later
Hasta ahora ➔ See you in a minute
Hasta pronto ➔ See you soon
Hasta muy pronto ➔ See you very soon
Hasta mañana ➔ See you tomorrow
Nos vemos mañana ➔ See you tomorrow
Hasta la vista ➔ Until next time
Hasta la proximo ➔ See you next time
*List of Spanish greetings updated: March 26, 2018.
English to Spanish Comprehension:
Can you answer these questions about Spanish greetings? Give it a try and then scroll back up to see how you did!
1. What is goodbye in Spanish?
2. What is farewell in Spanish?
3. How do you say hello in Spanish?
4. How would you say goodbye to a friend whom you will meet later in the day?
5. How would you say goodbye to a friend at school whom you'll be meeting the next day?
6. How do you say good afternoon in Spanish?
7. How do you say hi in Spanish?
8. How do you say bye in Spanish?
9. How do you say good evening in Spanish?
10. How would you say goodbye to a friend whom you might not see for a long time?
11. What is the word for greeting in Spanish?
12. How do you say see you later in Spanish?
13. How do you say see you tomorrow in Spanish?
14. How do you say nice to meet you in Spanish?
15. How do you say have a nice day in Spanish?
16. How do you say good morning in Spanish?
17. How do you say take care in Spanish?
18. How do you say pleased to meet you in Spanish?
19. What is the translation for bye friend in Spanish?
20. What is the translation for it's nice to meet you too in Spanish?
Spanish to English Comprehension:
Prefer to test yourself with translations starting in Spanish? Here's another list of questions!
1. What is the meaning of cuidate in English?
2. What is the meaning of nos vemos mañana in English?
3. What is the English translatin of mucho gusto?
4. What does encantado mean in spanish?
5. What is the meaning in English of bienvenidos?
6. What does the Spanish greeting encantada mean?
7. What is the meaning of qué hay de nuevo in English?
8. What is the meaning of le presento a in English?
9. What is the English translation of mucho gusto conocerte?
10. What is the English translation of cuidate mucho?
11. What is the English translation of encantado de conocerte?
12. What is the meaning of mucho gusto en conocerte in English?
13. What is the English translation of buen día?
14. Translate hasta la vista.
Spanish Key Words: Learn how to say key Spanish words and phrases.
As most of the translations in the list above are user submitted, it's quite possible for there to be mistakes on the page. If you speak Spanish and have a correction you'd like to share, feel free to leave a message below. Thanks again for any help you can provide.
Essential Spanish Learning Materials
Spanish Phrase Books
Spanish for Careers
Spanish Learning Materials for Kids
Spanish Vocabulary Builders
Spanish Pronouns & Prepositions
For the full selection, please visit our: Spanish Language Learning Shop