Need to greet someone in French? This page should help!
See below for several hellos and goodbyes, and other French greetings in English. There's also some timely greetings which you can use if the time is right.
Note: Words in bold added during the last update. You can also view this list of greetings from English to French.
Hello in French:
Allô ➔ Hello (used on the phone)
Bienvenue ➔ Welcome
Bonjour ➔ Hello
Coucou ➔ Hi there (mostly child speak)
Salut ➔ Hi (informal)
Bonne après-midi ➔ Good afternoon
Bonsoir ➔ Good evening (after 19h00)
Bonne soirée ➔ Have a good evening (said when leaving)
Bonne nuit ➔ Good night
Pleased to Meet You:
Enchanté (m) / Enchantée (f) ➔ Pleased to meet you
Goodbye in French:
Salut ➔ Bye (informal)
Au revoir ➔ Goodbye
Adieu ➔ Farewell
Passez une bonne journée ➔ Have a nice day
À bientôt ➔ See you soon
À plus tard ➔ See you later
À tout à l'heure ➔ See you later
À demain ➔ See you tomorrow
A la semaine prochaine ➔ See you next week
À l'année prochaine ➔ See you next year
*Greetings last updated: April 5, 2018.
English to French Comprehension:
Can you answer these questions about French greetings?
1. What is goodbye in French?
2. How do you say farewell in French?
3. How do you say good afternoon in French?
4. What is the French language translation of hi?
5. What is the translation of hello in the French language?
6. What is see you tomorrow in French?
7. What is French for see you later?
8. What is an informal goodbye in French?
9. How do you say good evening in French?
French to English Comprehension:
What about these greetings questions when you are given the French? Can you translate them back into English?
1. Translate to English: Bonne après-midi.
2. What is the meaning of coucou in English?
As most of the translations in the list above are user submitted, it's quite possible for there to be mistakes on the page. If you speak French and have a correction you'd like to share, feel free to leave a message below. Thanks again for any help you can provide.