Greetings are some of the most important phrases in any language. So, if you've been looking to learn some greetings in Urdu to expand your vocabulary, then you've come to the right place.
Below you will find several ways to say hello and goodbye, plus timely greetings, and holiday phrases.
Note: Words in bold added during the last update. You can also view this list of greeting words from English to Urdu.
Hello in Urdu:
Salaam ➔ Hello
Wa alaikum assalam ➔ Reply to hello
Helo ➔ Hello (when answering the phone)
Khush aamdeed ➔ Welcome
Salaam alaikum ➔ Good morning
Subha bakhair ➔ Good morning
Roz bakhair ➔ Good afternoon
Salaam walekum ➔ Good night
Shabb bakhair ➔ Good night
Goodbye in Urdu:
Khuda hafiz ➔ Goodbye
Phir milenge ➔ See you later / We'll meet again
Holiday Phrases in Urdu:
Krismas mubarak ➔ Merry Christmas
Salgirah mubarak ➔ Happy birthday
Other Useful Phrases in Urdu:
Aap ka din acha guzrae ➔ Have a nice day
Assalam o alaikum ➔ Peace be upon you (Greeting)
Suhane khuwab ➔ Sweet dreams
*List of greetings last updated: April 3, 2018.
English to Urdu Comprehension:
Can you answer these questions about Urdu greetings?
1. How do you say hello in Urdu?
2. How do you say goodbye in Urdu?
3. How do you say good morning in Urdu?
4. What is peace be upon you in Urdu?
5. What is the translation for good night in Urdu?
6. How do you say good afternoon in Urdu?
7. What is see you later in Urdu?
8. How do you say welcome in Urdu?
9. What is have a nice day in Urdu?
Urdu to English Comprehension:
How about these questions that give you just the Urdu? Can you translate them back to English?
1. What is the English translation of salaam walekum?
2. What is the English meaning of assalam o alaikum?
3. What is the meaning of khuda hafiz in English?
4. What is the English meaning of salaam alaikum?
As most of the translations in the list above are user submitted, it's quite possible for there to be mistakes on the page. If you speak Urdu and have a correction you'd like to share, feel free to leave a message below. Thanks again for any help you can provide.